Mining on Top: Africa – London Summit
24th-26th June, London, UK
“Connecting nations, investors and industry leaders to drive economic and social development in Africa through mining”
24th-26th June 2015, Park Plaza Riverbank Hotel, London, UK
Mining on Top: Africa- London Summit (MOTA) is the most definitive African mining conference for Europe, uniting Minster’s from Africa’s most established and emerging mining economies with global mining executives, investors and service providers to connect and encourage greater stakeholder engagement that will enable Africa’s to meet its wider, social and economic development agenda through mining.
Looking at the current state of the market, MOTA 2015 seeks to identify opportunities to reverse the current resources downturn for companies, investors and African states to capitalize on promising developments seen recently.
State of the Market
With commodity prices having reached a five-year low, the global mining community, including resource-rich Africa, is feeling the impact of this downturn, raising serious concerns over miners’ profits and African governments share in royalties and taxes. In addition, Asia’s demand for Africa’s minerals is waning, the labour and taxation issues within southern Africa and West Africa’s resurgence from the Ebola crisis, has brought to the fore major health and safety concerns, and the operational and social imbalances in African mining.
Against this difficult economic backdrop, great opportunities still exist and the outlook for Africa’s mining sector remains bright but complex. With an abundance of resources, the continent is destined to have a strategic role as a world mineral supplier; however, political and economic instability, infrastructure challenges and local capacity challenges continue to hinder sector growth
In order for the African mining sector to realise its full potential, a much greater level of understanding between all parties is required from host governments, mining companies, financiers and communities.
2015 Session Themes:
- Country Focused Breakout Session: Eastern & Southern Africa
- Raising Funds for African Mining Projects: Capital raising and accessing finance pools
- Country focused Session: West & Central Africa and New Emerging Frontiers
- A Social License to Operate (SLO)
- Understanding how this social consensus is paving the way for a new wave of CSR in African mining
- Partnering to Deliver Value: Case Study: How can the UK investor and mining companies work together?
- Rise of the Impact Investment and Shared Infrastructure to maximise mining operations in Africa
- Addressing social, economic and environmental challenges, while earning financial returns from the African mining industry
- South –South Cooperation & Opportunities
- Lessons from Other Regions – Building international trade relationships: Examples from LATAM and Australia
The Summit will feature an all-encompassing and diverse programme including:
- Pre-conference Mining Insights Seminar hosted by SNL Metals and Mining
- A two-day, focused conference agenda featuring top level speakers from African Governments and industry stakeholders
- Country focused sessions featuring in-depth analysis from governments and operators
- A dedicated business-to-business exhibition and meeting area
- A packed social calendar including:
- Pre – event cocktail receptions hosted by the Governments of Western Australia and Queensland
- Evening Cocktail Reception, hosted by the African Union and the African Minerals Development Centre
The event is presented by SNL Metals & Mining and AME Trade Ltd. SNL Metals & Mining is the most trusted source of global mining information and analysis with more than 30 years of providing global insights and intelligence. AME Trade Ltd is the most prolific organiser of mining events in Africa, and possesses a network of representatives spread across the continent. Together, we make Mining On Top: Africa a valuable combination of global mining expertise and local knowledge.
All registrants will receive a FREE copy of a global mining report from SNL Metals & Mining. SNL’s latest World Exploration Trends report analyzes exploration activity in 2014, recognizing global and regional trends and forecasting the year ahead.
The 2014 edition included participation from the following organizations:
And, included official African government delegations from:
Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Lesotho, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia
Nigeria, Republic of Congo, South Africa, Uganda, Zambia, South Sudan